Private Albert James Darter, 12611

  • Batt - 2
  • Unit - Leicestershire Regiment
  • Section -
  • Date of Birth -
  • Died - 15/05/1915
  • Age - 44

Add to this record?

If you have photographs, documents or information that can contribute to this record, you can upload here


Source: Michael Doyle Their Name Liveth For Evermore: The Great War Roll of Honour for Leicestershire and Rutland.
He was the son of Louise, and the late George Darter, and the husband of Laura Jane Darter. Twelve years service with the Royal Berkshire Regt. Served in the South African Campaign. The War Diary for today records. Battn rested during the day in LANSDOWNE POST. Moved off at 8.00pm. Battn took over front line from which the assault was to be made and by 9.30pm Coy’s were in position. Telephonic communication established with left and right and communication by officers ascertained between men on left and 2nd Div on my right. Eleven bridges were placed over the stream which runs parallel to position and about 20 to 30 yards in front of it, there with the existing four bridges made a total of 15 on the Battn front. It was not possible to place more bridges in position as the stream had been widened at many points by big shell holes, and the trunks and branches of fallen trees also blocked any other places where bridges might have been put. This getting of the bridges into position was an operation of great difficulty on account of the constant flares and bursts of fire from the enemy’s parapet. It was skilfully and quietly done with only two or three casualties. At 10.45pm two platoons were crossed over to the far side of the stream. Four more platoons were formed up ready, in the trenches to go forward and support the leading platoons. The remaining two Coy’s were formed up lying down behind the parados in close column of platoons ready to advance. Thus the whole Battn was got into its final position in order of attack and as close up as possible. This final formation was complete by 11.20pm and thanks to the able leading of Coy Commanders the movement was carried out in perfect order, and with no noise. At 11.30pm the leading platoons went forward to the assault closely supported by the second line. The lines in rear went forward to take up the positions vacated by the leading line. At the same time, or if anything some seconds before 11.30pm the enemy opened a very heavy fire with rifles and machine guns. A few minutes afterwards trench mortars and shrapnel searched the stream and the ground on both sides of it. The enemy threw from their parapet some kind of fire grenade which burst into fire on impact with the ground, and these with continuous flames of all colours, literally turned night into day. The leading men pushed on but only a few were able to reach near the enemy’s parapet. Each succeeding line came under a very heavy fire, the bridges got so blocked and the obstacles caused by fallen trees and shell holes so impeded movement that effective support could not be given. Thus the impetus of the assault was broken before it really got a proper start. The enemy’s parapet was fully manned and the accuracy and intensity may be understood from the fact that 8 officers, Platoon Commanders were killed or wounded. About 12 midnight reports were received from the front that our attack could not reach the German line, orders were then given to withdraw to our own trenches.

Leicestershire Project Findings
  • Conflict - Boer War, Second (1899-1902), World War I
  • Other Memorials - Loughborough Carillon, War Memorial Bell Tower
Research from Michael Doyle's Their Name Liveth For Evermore
  • Unit - Leicestershire Regiment
  • Former Unit - Royal Berkshire Regiment
  • Cause of death - KILLED IN ACTION
  • Burial Commemoration - Le Touret Mem., France
  • Born - Steventon, Berks
  • Enlisted - Loughborough, Leics
  • Place of Residence - Four-winds, Swingbridge Road, Loughborough, Leicestershire, England

View Memorials Related To This Casualty